Thursday, June 07, 2007

User friendly library

Even though I've been closely affiliated with the Sacramento Public Library and Friends of the Library for over 5 years now, I am still learning just how "user friendly" it is. My latest lesson came from a bookmark that had been left in a book I checked out - "Droll Stories" by Honore de Balzac. The bookmark indicated it had been ordered by someone to be delivered by mail, it was part of the Homebound Books by Mail program. I thought (since the book is almost as old as I am) that this must be some long forgotten service but the date was 2007. Turns out there is still a lively program to deliver books to the homebound. This is in addition to 2 bookmobiles and downloadable digital books. Just amazing.

We do have a great library that is always looking for ways to reach out to the public.