Wednesday, May 07, 2008

CFO for a (half) day

What do you do when a minor finance-related crisis comes up and your CFO (Chief Financial Officer) just left for another job and his boss is on vacation but you have a perfectly good (if slightly used and put out to pasture) former CFO/Administrator who is busily crunching numbers in a cubicle somewhere deep in Accounting. If you're the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Alta California Regional Center you just might wander down to that cubicle to have a chat with that former CFO.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I'm the slightly used CFO and it was sort of fun to be called upon to help in this minor crisis caused by some unfortunate timing of people leaving and going on vacation. And I really wasn't all that qualified to help out. It was a matter of Liability Insurance coverage and last year Alta changed brokers and insurers for most of their insurance needs. I knew the old players but really have no relationship or history with the new players. I do know some of the language and questions to ask to (hopefully) diffuse the situation. But for a couple of hours today I was making calls and firing off email messages like I used to do on a daily basis. Made me almost think I could do it again. But a large part of me is glad I won't be following up on this for the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment