Thursday, May 22, 2008

How to mess with their minds

Conversation at the entrance to Sam's Club:

She: I'm sorry, sir. Is that your book?

Me: No. It's ...

She (interrupting): Are you returning it?

Me: No. It's ...

She (interrupting again): Well, we'll have to put a sticker on it.

Me: But it already has a permanent sticker on it.

She: A permanent sticker? Let me see.

Me: See. It belongs to the Sacramento Public Library. I thought I'd read some while eating pizza from your gourmet food court.

She (not catching sarcasm): Oh. I guess you're right. You don't need a sticker.

.
.
.

Conversation at the Exit from Sam's Club:

He (just a bit officiously): Just a minute, sir. Can I see that book?

Me: Sure.

He (pulling out the slip of paper in the book and visually scanning it): This isn't the sales slip. Can I see the sales slip?

Me: I don't have it. It isn't my book.

He (trying to look older and wiser than me): Well, you can't just take any book out of here, you know. Whose book is it?

Me: The label here says it belongs to the Sacramento Public Library.

He (finally connecting the dots): Oh. I just pulled out your bookmark, didn't I? Have a nice day and come back soon.

Me: You have a good day, too.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I noticed some years ago that the folks at Sam's were not likely to have been hired for their "book smarts." Usually nice folks, though.

    ReplyDelete