Tuesday, May 06, 2008

No news is NOT good news

One of the motels in Kernville.

A few days ago I wrote a blog entry whining about my not having anything to do in Bakerfield and Kernville next week when I accompany Carolyn on a business trip to that area. I'm not sure how, but the entry was picked up by one of the editors of Bakosphere , "where the Web and Bakersfield collide" according to their masthead. They referred to my entry with a headline asking the residents of Kernville to unite and "help this poor man". I appreciated the attention.

The readership of Bakosphere must be about the same as this blog because my traffic almost doubled for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the only suggestion I got for things to do during our stay next week was to visit "the Kern River Brewing Company for a fine selection of beer and good food." That's the sum total of suggestions for me. Surely you'd think a city the size of Kernville would be able to some up with some other suggestions.

There does appear to be 28 geocaches in and around Kernville, so just tracking them down will keep me busy for hours. I just prefer doing that as a couple rather than alone. So I'm still asking "what is there for me to do in Kernville?"

4 comments:

  1. aaa.com mentions the Kern Valley Museum, the Kern River Fish Hatchery, and Lake Isabella. Also three raft/river tour companies and Kern Valley Trail Rides--sightseeing on horseback. Quoting Huell Howser's California's Gold series, "tour old and new Kernville as area residents recount their experiences; and go whitewater rafting down the Wild and Scenic Kern River, one of the fastest flowing rivers in the nation."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kern river is a fun one to raft, though you may prefer to do it in a larger more stable raft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kernville and the Sequoia Forest is a gorgeous area. In helping develop some informed suggestions for things to do in Kernville, what types of activities do you enjoy?

    Here are some ideas of things to do in Kernville:

    http://www.mtnriver.com/links_otherstuff.htm

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is nothing man made that is interesting, there should be some picturesque views or some nice nature hikes. Break out the eisle or camera and go to town :)

    Philip

    ReplyDelete