Tuesday, February 03, 2009

First day as a tax aide

I had asked for additional help with our library "pick list" assignment this morning and I'm glad I did. At the end of our usual 2 hours we still had 25% of the list still to pick off the library shelves. But I couldn't wait. I walked into the Library's Community Room and sat down at the computer which had no one sitting in front of it. The two site managers had already spent the previous half hour hooking three laptops and a printer into a simple network, bringing up the TaxWise program. Customers were already lining up,

Seconds later I was still seated at one of those computers but now had a customer in front of me I thanked her for her tolerance in advance and began asking questions to clarify the answers she had already written on her registration sheet. When I was through processing one return I looked around to see if someone would help by doing the quality control run through. I barely had time for a couple of swigs of my Coke before I had another customer.

In the next four hours I completed 3 returns as advertised. There were three of us so 12 people had their taxes done by our little group. The group leader said some very complimentary things about my work as she checked one of the returns and I felt like I could probably at least try a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment