Tuesday, September 08, 2009

42nd Anniversary

The 42nd Anniversary of our marriage is today. It's not a silver, gold, or diamond anniversary. In fact most tables of "suggested gifts" by anniversary year, leave it out entirely. After the 25th they go by 5 year leaps - as if these "in between" anniversaries don't mean as much. In fact, we don't show the same enthusiasm and romanticism about the anniversary as we did our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. She sends me a lovely e-mail from work but reminds me that a prior commitment will mean she'll be home late. I buy her a pretty card but can't remember what I did with it. I buy myself a book and tell her it's her anniversary present to me. She does the same.

But, y'know this past year has been just as precious to me, just as meaningful as the other 41. I've seen the miracle of modern medicine combined with faith and hope bring my beloved wife from the brink of death. Forty-two years ago, this probably wouldn't have been the outcome. I've watched Carolyn lose 75% of her stomach and 33% of her body weight and 100% of her hair and marveled at her attitude. A couple of wigs for her head, a new milk-free diet for her stomach, and many hours at the sewing machine and in the clothing stores completely redoing her professional business wardrobe. This woman has fantastic energy, stamina, and a positive outlook on life, not to mention that she's still the sexiest 62-year old I know. She's made this 42nd year of our marriage one of the most meaningful.

Carolyn reminded me that we could almost be celebrating the 43rd anniversary of her asking me out on our first date. That story deserves it own post but one thing led to another and just a little later we tied the knot. And I think we both couldn't be happier that she did and we did.

Let me also add a word of thanks to our kids, their spouses, and our grandchildren. We would have to look long and hard to find anything serious that any of you have done to mar this 42nd year of our marriage. Believe me, it means a lot to us that you are all just such GOOD people. I can't express it in any other way because you're all so good in so many different ways.

Happy Anniversary to us.

4 comments:

  1. AAWWW! Congrats,,,can't wait till we have our 43 years together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to Carolyn. I've always thought you two were made for each other and you've proved it through these many years. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! My mom has always told us what a great marriage you two have and especially that you are best friends!

    ReplyDelete