Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Behind the Scenes

I don't this to sound like complaining so if it starts to sound like that stop reading.

I think it's a general rule of thumb that in most college classes you can expect as a student to spend in class per week the number of credit hours you get for that class and between 2 and 3 hours in outside study and work for every credit hour. Lab classes are significantly different.

I think it's also a general rule of thumb for teachers of college classes to expect to spend 3 to 5 hours per week for every credit hour of class you teach. Are these still valid rules?

I got to thinking about this as it might apply to my work as a treasurer and my "public" time is at most 2 hours per month in our board meeting. One could claim it was even smaller based on the time I actually said something versus just listening actively to the discussion and remarking as appropriate. But after the meeting is over I have another 4 to 5 hours of finishing the business approved at the meeting including checks signed by the President.

I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a metric, a way to measure your "class time" overhead for school, college, and weird jobs like Treasurer.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know about that, but we as consultants have metrics to how much time we should spend compared to the client. Most clients just want us to come in and do the work for them, but they need to spend twice as much time on the project (excluding development time) than us to for it be successful.

    But it makes you wonder about other metrics, like how much time should you spend reading, playing compared to talking\listening to your children and time\number of dates with your spouse compared to other activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've said it better than I did. That was what I was trying to get at.

    By the way, I've never had a consultant tell me what I as the client should be prepared to spent on a job. That would have been helpful information on several jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should clarify "we as consultants" to be me\my firm.

    ReplyDelete