Monday, November 02, 2009

Feet make a lot of difference

One of the benefits that Kaiser does not provide is prescription and fitting of orthotics. Kaiser does have podiatrists on staff but they won't provide orthotics. Just won't happen through Kaiser. But having had two of my sons rave about how good orthotics have been for them, I wasn't content to let Kaiser have the last word.

For some arcane reason I still had to notify Kaiser that I wanted/needed orthotics or I stood in danger of losing my Medicare Advantage coverage which I certainly don't want. And it was good that my primary care physician knew about it so that he could recommend one that he has worked with before. Besides, this podiatrist gives Kaiser patients a 20% discount (and they check your Kaiser membership card to make sure.)

I went in today to pick up my new orthotics devices and already I'm convinced. They help stabilize my feet making it easier to work with or without a walker. I don't know that I can get along without a walker on a long term basis but I could do so in the limited confines of his office. Wouldn't it be nice to push back that necessity for even a few months.

The Podiatrist, Dr. Kirby, wants to see me in 3 weeks so I'll probably report back to this blog at that time as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment