Thursday, November 05, 2009

Genesis of a party

When Carolyn and I were called to be on the ward activities committee I thought it would be a perfect calling for her and a horrible one for me. I am not a party animal! From planning, organizing, executing, and even enjoying a party I rank last. But from time to time I can assist Carolyn or the committee on some task so it isn't a total waste that I'm on the committee. Since I work with my bookbinder mentor on Thursday evenings and Carolyn tends to hold the committee meetings on Thursday evening I don't make it to many meetings.

Tonight my mentor wasn't feeling well so I attended an Activities Committee meeting that was primarily for the purpose of planning and organizing our ward Christmas party. There had been some brainstorming before but this was the meeting where ideas were fleshed out or discarded. I was fascinated to watch the six women on the committee (including one who had just happened to stop by to bring back a pan) work together to bring "pie in the sky" ideas into actual plans and potential assignments. Many of these women had worked together before and can almost make decisions for each other based on how they act or what kinds of things they like.

I was also impressed how Carolyn ran the meeting from encouraging participation and ideas even when she didn't think that much of the ideas. She made everyone feel welcome and free to make suggestions with the understanding that there will be competing suggestions and you're won't always be the one eventually chosen. Carolyn kept the committee on task and closed promptly 2 hours after the meeting began.

Things are really going to be wild around here in December with the ward family Christmas party on 12/12, the choir party at our house on 12/5, and an Activities Committee dinner/planning party on 12/27. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

1 comment: