Monday, July 05, 2010

Another resignation

When I agreed to be nominated this year for Treasurer of the Friends of the Sacramento  Public Library, it was with the understanding that I would train my potential replacement and, if practical, turn over some or all of my duties to her.

Two months ago, I asked Cynthia to take over the collection of the financial data from our branches and to compile and complete our non-profit tax return for 2009.  She did that so well that I scheduled a training with her on the daily, monthly, and quarterly duties of the treasurer.  The end of  June made a perfect time to do that.  Again, she was a quick learner, so quick that I decided this was really the best time to turn over the books.  She left our house today with all the software, backup data, and historical deposits and invoices to begin processing where I had left off.

In addition to her knowledge of accounting (she is a CPA, after all) and QuickBooks, I was also impressed as she began shuffling the stuff out to her car when she asked if this was going to be a relief for me or if I have some feelings of loss.  It is both, of course, and I've already begun to search for ways to fill the hole  that will be left in my schedule.  It will probably be a combination of getting more involved with the local Friends branch, more involved with the Book Den and warehouse, and spend more time organizing all our digital photo albums.  I may even find more time to go to the Club where Tiffany and the boys have been trying to get me involved.

Its a bittersweet moment but a transition that needed to occur.  A relief and a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment