Friday, July 16, 2010

Shopping for a new computer

Advice:  Take along a geek!

Unless you're totally up on the latest technology both in hardware and software, it's really nice to have with you someone who is. I had done a little shopping on my own after a particularly bad day trying to wrestle the old computer.  So I was excited that Steve and Lisa would be visiting us the weekend of July 10-11.  I was also pleased when a computer sales clerk approached us at SAM'S Club.  He had the look of GEEK all over him.  When I asked why some of the outlets in the back of the computer on display had been "sealed" or boarded up, he launched into a reply about incompatibility issues with the accelerated graphics card and alternative ways of achieving the same thing.  I was immediately out of my league where Steve asked some follow-up questions that, at least to some degree, wiped the smug look off the young salesman's face.

Steven could see that I was more impressed by big screens than with fast processors which he favored.  He recommended a machine that had both.  It was also handy having Steve along to help lift the computer into the shopping cart and then into out car.  So you'll want a geek who can lift heavy loads.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had the right geek with you.

    ReplyDelete