Wednesday, July 28, 2010

When your boss says "Have a minute?"

The answer is always yes.

Very few jobs are 100% secure.  There's always the chance that you'll be furloughed, laid off, fired, or terminated. Sure, there are union contracts and employment contracts but the reality of the situation is that if you're no longer needed or wanted, if the company can no longer afford your position, of if any number of other reasons makes keeping you on the payroll more costly than letting you go, you'll go.  I think some people go through life never realizing this fact.

But my job is even more iffy in that I have a contract which states explicitly that I work as an independent contractor solely at the will of both parties.  I try to earn my pay as I always have in every job I've ever held but still, when the boss says, "Have a minute?" I answer yes but my heart jumps a little.  Is this going to be bad news or good news?  Another assignment or goodbye?

This morning it was good news, I think.

Recognizing that my consultations have become relatively routine, my boss suggested that I work with some of the other managers to teach them or their staff how to produce the reports I have been developing.  That would free up some of my time so that I could expand another area that has always been a part of my contract - helping to keep our website current and relevant to our various communities.  This will probably be very content driven as part of my qualification for the assignment is my long history with the state's developmental disability system. Of course, to do a good job I will have to become more involved than I am right now and that may entail a larger time commitment on my part.  On the other hand, the commitment can be very flexible and adaptable to my needs. Tough decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment