Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Our State Fair is a Great State Fair...."

or at least so go the lyrics for the Rogers and Hammerstein musical "State Fair".   Actually, I would classify ours as only so-so.  But then I'm not big on state fairs.

We started out right this morning - early and with plenty of sunscreen on. Although it was a bright sunny day it wasn't as hot as we often  have during the summer.  Being there early we didn't have to fight the crowds so much.


It seemed to me the vendors were more aggressive than previous years but that could have been because this was the last weekend of the fair and they wanted to go out with a bang.  In any case we found ourselves hurrying past some booths that I would have enjoyed looking but not listening.

Politics was evident with the booths for the major parties.  And so was patriotism:
Here they had two wall boards posted so that people could write notes to our men in arms.

The agricultural, homemaking, engineering, and many other types of displays are always our favorites.  We were especially taken with some of the  quilting displays since they were so dramatically different from the more traditional quilts we had just seen in Snowflake, Arizona.



 And, finally,  I was delighted to see that the fair itself was a "no smoking zone" making for a clean and enjoyable experience for all.


Only in these small shade tents scattered around the fair could smokers light up.

As we left, the crowd was increasing as was the temperature.  We got our hands stamped (just in case) but were both glad to come home to rest.  I had my power chair or I never would have made it an hour but it's still exhausting trying to get around with bowling people over.  And I was essentially sitting in one place for 5 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Tessie took Nathan and Joshua to the Orange County Fair yesterday. They had a great time but I think they just about made her broke with all of the fun stuff that they wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete