Thursday, July 15, 2010

Time to retire the old clunker

And I don't mean me... yet.

No, I'm referring to the old desktop computer that is over 5 years old and would sometimes take 15 minutes to get started in the morning -- WHEN it would decide to get going.  And that was the rub.  We would often get the "blue screen of death" right in the middle of doing something important.  This screen was reminiscent of old pre-windows screens and simply said, "an unrecoverable error has been made on your machine.  The operating system has stopped further processing to prevent damage to your computer.   See your system administrator."

I tried the instructions on the blue screen; I tried the Windows knowledge base, I upgraded or replaced every driver I could find.  Nothing seemed to do the trick. And the worst part was that it was so random.   I couldn't make it fail and I couldn't tell when the next failure would be.

I think most of us have been in that position with computers or cars. You finally reach a point where you simply can't trust the equipment.  Our computer was failing 3 and 4 times a day, sometimes in the middle of our work.  It was time to look for a new computer.

2 comments:

  1. I love to shop for and build them but don't like paying for them :) Are you going to buy a ready made one, buy parts and assemble it with Steven next time he is up, do it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never even considered building my own. That's a shame since I used to think that was half the fun. Maybe it was all the cannibalizing at Harbor that wore me out.

    ReplyDelete