Sunday, August 08, 2010

Be careful what you delete

I've often heard that you should delete the pictures from your digital camera card only after you  have copied the files in two different places.  And I've just as often ignored this advice.  After all, the software that came with the camera had as it's default to erase the pictures as soon as they were transferred.  And there was no special routine to check out the pictures so I wouldn't know when it was okay or not.

The situation was brought home when I was trying  to select some pictures for this blog.  I could see the thumbnails of the pictures I wanted but I couldn't edit or review the pictures.  With the help  of my more computer literate sons Philip and Steven we determined that somehow the pictures never saved on the camera properly or never transferred to the computer correctly.  By now, of course, we had erased the original pictures so there was nothing to retrieve.  In this case, I was able to recreate many of the pictures but I definitely learned a lesson about deleting pictures after they've been transferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment