Saturday, August 28, 2010

Camp Nauvoo 2010

Our Activities Calendar wouldn't be complete without the annual ward  outing to Camp Nauvoo.  In the past, we've been assigned our weekend on a rather random basis so we might have a weekend before the spring thaw or in the middle of the fall rains.  This year it fell on the last weekend in August which is statistically probably the best weekend of the year.  So we were looking forward to a good-sized crowd from our ward and possibly some overlap with the singles ward in our stake.  We did have nice if somewhat coolish weather, a fair crowd, and no one from the other ward.















When the person who had accepted responsibility for MC-ing the activities for the weekend had a death in the family it left a big hole in the plans.  Carolyn scurried around to find substitutes such as re-using the "win it in a minute' props and ideas from the Young Men's program and some song sheets from prior years.  I don't think anyone suffered or had a bad experience at camp because of the program change.  It might have even been better because of our relaxed schedule.









I had an interesting time trying to get around in my power chair.  First of all, I was interested to know how much of the camp would be wheelchair accessible or, alternatively, accessible with my walker.  I was surprised at how accessible the camp was.  The main problem was getting to some of the cabins and to the fire ring bleachers.  I had no trouble, however, getting volunteers to lift it over the bridge.  The meadow provided some interesting challenges as I tried to "off road" it.  Some dips and trenches were sufficient to stop me in my tracks but usually I could find a side of the dip short enough to allow me to climb out.  But my chair probably got its best ever workout.



No comments:

Post a Comment