Friday, March 03, 2006

Urban myth's truth immaterial

I suppose it had to happen. If you're like me you get lots of email from good friends who want to pass on a warning as good friends are supposed to do. And if you're like me, many of these "warnings" are urban myths that spread through the Internet like their more nefarious cousins - computer viruses. For the past several months, I've taken to replying to these warning messages by letting my concerned friend know that there is a website solely dedicated to debunking phony stories - urban legends.

Now I get a warning from a good friend that starts out "I've checked out the following warning at Snopes.Com and they assure me that it is false. However, one can't be too careful nowadays and something like this COULD happen to you." She then proceeded to pass along the warning which can be found here.

What can I do? My friend already knows the warning is false. But she's right, it COULD be true. Kinda sounds like the helpful warnings we get from Homeland Security - they COULD also be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment