Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Why I don't hate SPAM


Okay, I want to make it clear that I'm no fan of obscene and offensive email and I don't really need to receive dozens of offers to refinance our home or enhance some body part. Urban myths make me question the collective intelligence on our planet. But I really don't mind the cute poems and well wishes from friends and family, or the latest newsletters from organizations I can't remember ever hearing about let alone joining. Even the blatant ads for something I'm not interested in are easy enough to send to digital purgatory. Spam comes with the territory.

Spam reminds me that the mailman came today. Even if (or maybe especially if) there is nothing else in the mail, at least I know that the mailman came today if there is one piece of junk mail in my mailbox.

Likewise, one piece of spam means my internet provider is still sending me email. One piece of spam from a loved one indicates they've still got my email address even if they don't remember that it resides solely on a distribution list they've forgotten how to modify.

Like fiber in my diet, spam lets me know the system is working. Maybe that's one reason why I never get around to notifying the credit card people that I don't want any more offers for their latest and greatest card. As long as I continue to get offers I must be alive.

5 comments:

  1. You sound like your taking a philosophy class as well as your archaeology class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I send something does that mean that I exist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes sense to me. The question is whether the converse is true: If I don't send something, then I don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I guess whenever someone sends you one of those chain emails then it's in your best interest to pass them along, to help confirm your own existence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like he is taking meds...not a philosophy class. Oh,how I miss 7:00 a.m. carpool!

    ReplyDelete