Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Eve's Market

It's happened to us before and I wasn't happy about it then. We move into an area with a nice, convenient, well-run grocery store nearby. After we get very familiar with the layout of the store, it closes. In Long Beach, we never got our store back as they tore it down to create a strip mall. In Carmichael, we lost a Ralph's grocery store when the chain closed all it's Northern California stores.

This time after only a few months vacancy, the building has opened as a "natural" food store. However, when I visited it yesterday I was struck by how much it reminded me of the previous occupants of the building. Yes, there were some exhibits that promoted "healthy, organic" alternatives but for the most part, the groceries appeared to be just what we had before with Ralph's.

Since at least one of the employees cars I saw in the parking lot had this in the window, I'm sure there will be an emphasis on "whole" foods. We're certainly interested in that but perhaps even more interested in customer service. I've been very disappointed in Safeway's customer service. But at Eve's market yesterday I was approached three times by staff asking if I was finding everything okay. Very impressive.

1 comment:

  1. I would be interested in your opinion on the newest green proto-trend, "eat locally." It's something our family did growing up as a byproduct of your home gardening.

    ReplyDelete