Wednesday, April 18, 2007

San Luis Obispo Trip - Day 2

As expected, I could barely get out of bed this morning. EVERYTHING ached. And what didn't ache, didn't work. Fortunately, Carolyn let me sleep in until 7:00. We showered, dressed, and dropped into the hotel's dining room for our free continental breakfast. It was really quite good with cold and hot cereals, bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, juices of all sorts, fruit, yoghurt, and milk. Everything good and healthy.

Carolyn had me drop her off at the child care center where she would be working today. I guess someone else has agreed to bring her back to the hotel.

Since I was already out, I decided to try a couple of geocaches. Taking photos of interesting locations is a pretty good cover for geocaching. Although walking around with the GPS like you are dousing for water is pretty hard to cover up, no matter how many pictures you take (or pretend to take). The first three caches I tried to locate included one in a park,

the Amtrak station,

and a local office designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. I spotted 2 out of 3, missing the one at Amtrak.

When I returned to the hotel, I found that I had somehow lost the case/cover to my PDA/GPS. I hadn't used it during the whole morning since I had the PDA/GPS in my hand or mounted on the dashboard the whole time. I hoped I had just left it in the hotel room or dropped it in the car but no luck. It could have come off my belt anytime.

With no real hope of finding it, I drove off to retrace my steps. When I pulled up to the place I had parked for the last cache I found, there in the street was my PDA case intact, in one piece, just as I must have dropped it an hour before.

Of course, now that I was out again, I tried a couple more geocaches, this time finding 3 of 3, all local landmarks:



Bubble Gum Alley (an alley where thousands of people have stuck their chewed gum onto the brick walls as high as they could reach),

the Mission San Luis Obispo,

and the county courthouse. All in all a great day geocaching.

Carolyn returned from work in time for us to take a drive west to the ocean. We drove in the Los Osos State Park all the way to the heavily secured fence blocking the way to Diabalo Canyon nuclear power plant. Then we drove over to Morro Bay to visit the museum at Morro Bay State Park. Lovely sights all along the way although the wind was blowing so much we barely wanted to leave the car even to take pictures. Back in Los Osos we ate butternut squash ravioli at the delightful little Italian restaurant Jimmy Bumps Pasta House.

2 comments:

  1. Gail and I enjoyed our time in San Luis Obispo, but I have to say Bubble Gum Alley is just gross. I can understand people considering it a landmark, but I at least hope to never see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to get some good clam chowder, Splash is a local and college student favorite. The hot dog place across the street was apparently sad to see them move in.

    ReplyDelete