Sunday, April 08, 2007

Placerville geocaching

As I've mentioned before on this blog, one of my hobbies in Geocaching. However, it is not something that I find nearly as fun as a solitary activity as when I can do it with Carolyn or the kids and grandkids. Also, it is not something that is easy to do on the spur of the moment - when we have 15 extra minutes or when we're miles from home and our computer. There are ways to download the minimum necessary info to a portable computer or even a cell phone but I find I need as much information as necessary and that requires a regular Internet hookup and a printer.

Anyway, until a week ago it had been almost a year since we went geocaching. So it was with little optimism that I printed out some cache information sheets last Friday for caches around the Camp Nauvoo area. I really didn't think we'd get around to actually looking for any caches.

As it turned out, Carolyn and I had just enough energy left after Camp Nauvoo to drop in on 3 caches in the neighborhood and managed to find all three.

By far the most interesting was the one placed at Smith's Flats cemetery.

This cache represents my idea of a perfect cache: an interesting site that is either historical or unusual, a bit of mystery or puzzle but not enough to make the find impossible, and a "hidden in plain sight" type of cache.

This unusual label on the cache container was just icing on the cake. I wonder where one orders such a switch?

No comments:

Post a Comment