Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ban the book, burn the film...


As expected those who think that neither we nor our children have any brains or ability to distinguish fact from fiction, good from bad, are shouting from the rooftops. Their cry is simple:
Yesterday, I was handed a children's book by a staff member who said, "I think you need to see this."

The book is published by Scholastic and is part of a collection of books. The book I was given is called The Golden Compass. This children's book is one of the most alarming things I have ever read. What makes it worse is that a movie based on the book premieres in December. Both the book and the movie introduce atheism to children. The story ends with Adam and Eve killing God.

THIS IS A MOVIE THAT WE MUST PROTEST AND OPPOSE AS CHRISTIANS. Please educate yourself on this by checking out the links I have provided below and help me spread the word. Do not remain silent on this issue. This is a time for the family of GOD to stand together.

Dr. Bryan Cutshall
Senior Pastor, Twin Rivers Worship Center
Founder and CEO, Churchtrainer, Inc.
Unfortunately, the good pastor IF he has read the book, is not familiar with the genre and certainly has NOT seen the movie. I sincerely doubt that readers of this book will be "introduced to atheism" as he states. His notice would serve to do that. Nor does he seem to notice that the conflict posed in The Golden Compass is against a church similar to the Catholic church but one which has not been affected by the protestant reformation. Would he like such an organization to exist today? If he HAD read the book or seen the movie I think he just might root for the heroine Lyra and maybe that is what he fears. On the other hand, if his church is all-powerful and his god is not, then he might actually understand the plot of the book/movie and have a real reason to oppose it.

The Catholic League HAS read the books and presents a very well written synopsis of the three books in the series and comments rather acidly on the author and his motives. Since the Catholic Church is the figurative target of these dastardly books, they at least have something to complain about.

3 comments:

  1. The problem is that displaying a religion gone wrong suggests that religion CAN go wrong. Then it is up to us as individuals to judge whether a religion is good or bad rather than up to God to maintain his religion. Individuals begin to dictate what they will and will not accept from their church, and church authority is undermined.

    This is particularly dangerous in children, if they are exposed to these ideas what will they do as teenagers when they naturally rebel in an effort to establish their own identity. They may see cracks and flaws in their own religion and either lose faith, or worse, try to alter "God's" way to be more in line with their own secular ethics.

    OK, let me see if I can get my tongue out of my cheek now. I think the concerns I've outlined above are very real ones in many churches today, though I don't think they'd state them in quite that way. I was once visiting with my father in law and said that if I were a seminary teacher I would not teach the children false doctrine, but that I would try to teach them to think, question, and develop their own understanding. He disagreed and said that questioning was dangerous. I agreed that it was but said I felt it was necessary and helped progress. He asked for an example and I decided to stop pursuing it for fear of a heated argument, plus I was not really prepared for a debate.

    Churches have a lot of power and influence, but they rely heavily on being "God's" and therefore in some sense perfect to maintain their authority. Anything that questions that is threatening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is particularly hypocritical of a missionary oriented church like the Mormons to say that questioning is dangerous. Where would all the converts come from if people stopped questioning and did what most people already do - follow the faith of their parents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is true. And it is a bit sad because so much of our doctrine is about finding out for yourself and gaining your own testimony. For example we don't use simple circular reasoning in getting people to believe the Book of Mormon. We tell them to read it and pray about whether it is true. Now whether or not the confirmation format (a feeling) is acceptable evidence for its spiritual truth or its historicity is debatable, but it is one step more than it comes from God because it says it does.

    I believe we should always ask and search, and I believe we have a responsibility to demand that God be God. (That is hold him to the standards we are taught that he represents.)

    So yes we should be excellent candidates to accept questioning, but I doubt you'll see that as a valued attribute in a seminary teacher for a long time.

    On a bright note, I was introduced to this book in a mormon book club. There was lots of good discussion about the book, and what the book's "church" really represented, and only one person seemed to think it was dangerous.

    ReplyDelete