Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Six month check-up

Carolyn and I visited my neurologist this afternoon to discuss my six month progress with the Parkinson's medication I started 6 months ago. I have good and bad days (or as they say in Parkinson's world On and Off days) but certainly more good days than bad as long as I don't try to walk a great distance or run at all. However, I still often feel like I'm wearing lead shoes so he wants me to try another medication that is still so new Kaiser only added it to their allowable medications a year ago.

The doctor says that although tremor is probably the symptom most associated with Parkinson's, it is the least bothersome as it generally affects the hands only at rest. When you're doing something like keyboarding the tremor disappears. And he said that since I haven't had a tremor yet, it's not likely that I will in any case.

Other symptoms I have are excess saliva (I just have to be careful not to drool) and leaning to the left (physically, rather than in a political sense) for which I just have to keep reminding myself to sit or stand up straight. And some of the medication I take makes me sleepy enough to fall asleep at stop signs if I don't pay attention.

We're grateful that life is still good for both of us and that we are still able to do most of the things we'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment