Saturday, December 29, 2007

iGoogle

My wife Carolyn was looking over my shoulder this evening and asked what iGoogle was. I told her it was a customizable Internet portal or home page that had Google as it’s search engine. In addition to the Google search box, iGoogle suggests things you might want and then you can customize it if desired.. I have various things on my home page such as “How To of the day”, “This Day in History”, “Quotes of the Day”, etc. You can also add tabs for extra “home pages”. I have a whole second page with Toys such as “Sudoku of the day”, “Joke of the Day”, and “Pacman”. I rarely look at this tab but it’s there. If I sign onto another computer and log into Google, I can get the same iGoogle page as I do at home. Its sort of a way to have something familiar greet you on a strange computer.

Anyway, I explained to Carolyn what iGoogle was and that I could add another tab. I clicked on “Add a tab” and named it “Church things”. Darned if 2/3 of the items suggested by iGoogle for that page weren’t LDS related. Does Google know that’s the church I attend? Or is the LDS church the leader in developing items for Google’s iGoogle system? Seeing all the LDS items was sort of spooky, though.

If you haven't tried iGoogle yet, I recommend it. To get started go to the URL www.Google.com. Then just click on the word "iGoogle" in the upper right hand corner of your Google window. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment