Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Be careful how you say it



I'll try to tell this without mentioning names so as to protect the innocent.

A few weeks ago one of our daughters in law (DIL) received a gift of a baby jumper for her young son who was just getting old enough to enjoy sitting up. This particular jumper was chosen because it included a vibrator to sooth the baby and help him go to sleep. Our grandson loved it.

A few days ago, the vibrator stopped working and it didn't appear to be the fault of the batteries. So our DIL began a search of the Internet to try to find a replacement vibrator. Soon, our son heard coming from the computer room shouts of "No. Stop. I don't want to see this! How do I stop these pop-up ads!?" She had unwittingly tapped into the adult "marital aids" market and the pop-up ads were coming up faster than she could close them.

4 comments:

  1. My first reaction was laughter, but then I quickly went into sympathy mode. I've run into those ads a time or two also, and it's gross. Your DIL has my sympathy. Hope there are no lasting repercussions pop-up-wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly. I hope that in the attempt to close down the "ad attack" she didn't unwittingly click on a purchase button. If so she will be musing over those newly purchased items before too long.

    If only cyber-support was as efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to run the virus and spyware checkers and definitely need to switch over to Firefox and get the Noscripts addon. It should stop anything truly embarassing from popping up before you realize you are not where you wanted to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not cool!

    If she has the receipt the store should take it back, I know it wasn't that long ago that she got it.

    If for some reason they don't take it back, she should try calling the manufacturer. They will probably replace the part for free.

    ReplyDelete