Thursday, August 14, 2008

Meanwhile, over in the CT laboratory...

This afternoon I got a lower body CT Scan to see what might be causing the swelling in my left leg. You may recall a couple of weeks ago, my doctor was so alarmed that he ordered an emergency ultrasound of my upper leg to see if it was caused by a significant clot or embolism. Had they found a clot, I would have been admitted immediately to the hospital so Carolyn and I could have maybe shared a room.



Well, because they didn't find a clot, my doctor ordered this lower body CT Scan. I will have to say I am more than impressed. The last time I had a CT scan was probably 20 years ago. At that time, each centimeter "slice" took between 45 and 90 seconds. My scan was about 50 centimeters which would have meant lying on the examining table 30 minutes to an hour. My test today took less than 5 minutes, less time than it took to get me positioned on the table in the first place. What medical marvels.

2 comments:

  1. So the scan only took 5 minutes, but did you get any definitive results?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although Kaiser often gets us laboratory results before we get home, radiology results are posted only days or weeks later, if at all. Looking at the bright side, at least they didn't tell me I had to be hospitalized immediately.

    ReplyDelete