Thursday, September 18, 2008

Get a Grip

Some of you, referring to the poem that was on the anniversary card I gave to Carolyn and which I subsequently quoted in this blog, have remarked how romantic the two of us must be. Well, judge for yourself as this is the "romantic" present I got for Carolyn - two "Get a Grip"s.

When I saw these in the store I laughed at first because these are nothing but the old handles we used to use when computer rooms required raised flooring for the air flow. In order to lift up a floor tile (which were usually 2 feet square), one pressed a device onto the tile and activated the suction cups at either end of the device. That "sucked" the floor tile up so that it could be lifted out of the floor grid.

Someone was thinking out of the box in marketing these little handles. We don't need them for floors anymore (at least most of us don't) but we could use an extra handle in the tub or the shower. Not that we can't get by without them but we feel just a little safer with an extra handle in the right place.



We're not sure exactly where they're going to end up but that is the beauty of having a portable handle that we can use in the tub...

or the shower. We could even take them on vacation with us for those strange bathrooms we might encounter.

3 comments:

  1. Just as long as you don't accidentally lose suction. I'm certain these are far better than suction darts, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they come in plain white? I could actually use one of these in my bathtub...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got them at the local Walgren's Drug Store. I didn't see any other color.

    There is a warning on the packaging that one should test the vacuum seal before putting one's entire weight on it. My experience is that they're reliably secure with a force perpendicular to the wall but tend to slide easily when a force parallel to the wall is applied. Then, of course, if you hit a grout line the vacuum seal breaks.

    ReplyDelete