Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A word from Carolyn...

Today, I'm turning the blog over to Carolyn:

Hi There,


I just got off the phone with the Kaiser Chemo department. It looks like I will be having my first infusion on Monday. I had a bone marrow biopsy yesterday morning (I have a sore hip but it wasn't traumatic) and I had a PET scan this morning at 7 a.m. I have a chemo class on Thursday morning and the treatments begin at 8:15 a.m. on Monday, September 29th. Infusions typically take the majority of the day. They will be putting in four different meds and then I also have pills to take. Apparently, one of the meds usually causes an allergic reaction so they put it in slower but still give it to the patient. They give one cycle of meds every three weeks. Supposedly I will feel best on the day of the treatment and then feel worse as time goes on. I will have a large loss of hair at about two weeks and have a new infusion at three weeks. This goes on for at least four cycles. If there is evidence of spread (indicated by the bone marrow biopsy or by the PET scan) that will extend out to 6-9 cycles. I will also have some radiation in the stomach area but I've had that before and it isn't a big deal.


I’m relieved to finally get the schedule and know what is in store. Some things just need to be moved on through. The anticipation is worse than the reality (well, maybe not, I do remember the labor involved in popping out an new baby). I feel really good right now and I feel like I’ve made good progress on my list of chores. However, there are still enough things on the list to keep me entertained for several more weeks.

I hope all is well with each of you.

Love to you,

Carolyn

5 comments:

  1. Good luck to you Carolyn! We will be thinking of you and praying for you. Please let us know how you are doing and what we can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure you don't want me to buy you that wig? If might be good to have one on hand just in case you don't feel like shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, didn't know so much had to be done preceding the chemo but hope all goes well for you, Carolyn. Love ya and feel bad you have to go through all this. We'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with it all. Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Jessica's comment. I know I am kind of useless in the whole situation down here in So. Cal. but web surfing and fashion sense might be something contributable :)

    Love,

    Philip

    ReplyDelete