Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tri-focals or try focals?

The clarity and acuity of your eyesight normally doesn't change all at once. Instead you experience a gradual loss of clarity or increase in visual noise. Then you see an eye doctor who tests your eyes and gives you a prescription for contact lenses or eyeglasses. You put them in/on and suddenly the world changes.

Because of this gradual change, I can't really tell you when my mid-range began to be a problem. I found myself nodding more and more, not saying "yes", but "Help. I'm trying to find the proper place on my glasses so I can see the music or the screen more clearly." With my next to latest pair of glasses, the mid-range section is ironically the smallest while I probably spend the most time trying to interpret what I see in this section.

Please look at the picture above. Like my world with my previous glasses, the center of the action has a great deal of detail but I only get to see the detail of the the rest of the picture by moving my head up and/or down. This annoyance really comes up when I'm at the computer or at the piano - the problem being the same for both. Over the past 3 or 4 years, I found myself interpolating or guessing at the parts I couldn't clearly see. That, of course, requires extra time and bpu's (brain processing units) so I react slower or maybe even not at all. I was thus handicapping myself when typing at the computer or playing the piano.

Finally I wised up and talked myself into buying a pair of glasses that has only the middle lens correction. I can't believe how much easier it is for me to read music or the computer screen. I don't h ave to constantly nod my head up and down trying to find the "sweet spot" when the screen becomes legible.

I love my new glasses.

1 comment:

  1. I like the demo, that was very helpful. I'm a bit surprised that you had regular trifocals (or maybe that was just the way it was described) the last few times that I got new glasses they looked at me funny if I wanted anything other than progressive focuses.

    ReplyDelete