Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bread lines

With all this talk of economic failure and unemployment, I knew it wouldn't be long before we saw bread lines and soup kitchens in our neighborhood. Thus, we were not surprised to see a line of grocery carts at Sam's Club the other day. I asked Carolyn to record it for posterity while I patiently got in line for our allotment.


The line looks better from the front.



Here are the three friendly volunteers who are keeping up the spirits of those in line. I'm finally at the head of the line.



And here is what we've all been waiting for. Not quite bread - but there's cheesecake, apple crisp with vanilla bean ice cream, and rich chocolate cake. No wonder there was such a line!

2 comments:

  1. Was this like the old USSR, where if you saw a line you got in even if you didn't know what it was for? Or did you have a whiff of the end result before you waited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, did you ever visit the USSR or live in one of the Soviet bloc nations? I have and saw so many long lines. I wondered about the bread lines until I lived there and found that the old tale of shortages was a Western fable. The reason people were in the bread lines was to get a hot fresh loaf right out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete