Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Miscellaneous thoughts on the election

Having now cast my vote in 11 presidential elections and as many presidential primary elections, I would like to make a couple of comments.

In my opinion both Obama and McCain are gentlemen and patriots. They care very much for their country of they would not have subjected themselves to the grueling campaign schedule and exposed themselves and their family to so much public intrusion. They're also very certain that each was the best man for the job. But now that the vote is in, each pledged to work with the other to form coalitions and compromises to solve America's problems. I think it behooves us to behave as well. Lies and smears were part of the campaigns, they should not be part of the next four years.

Obama was for change from the beginning. Although McCain's theme was technically "America First, he discovered early on that change was what resonated with the electorate and declared himself a maverick. Thus, whether it was the war in Iraq (early in the campaign) or the economy (later in the campaign) the fight seemed to be who was proposing the best change and who was capable of pulling it off. This election was a referendum on change, so we'd better get ready for some real change.

From their published schedules and press coverage, it appeared to me that both men worked about as hard as men can work. I don't think we can fault either man for not doing the best job he could do. Even the selection of Governor Palin was a brilliant strategic move although she may have cost McCain as many votes as she gained for him. In chess when you are in a slightly disadvantaged position and liable to be defeated in a slow, tortuous game, a good strategy is to lead with your queen - you have little to lose and much to gain. Palin made for a much more interesting campaign than it might have otherwise been.

Finally, I think the interest and enthusiasm for this campaign surprised both camps and bodes well for out country. Not only did more people than expected vote, but more people took part in phone banks, door-to-door contacting, and rallies. The enthusiasm strained the infrastructure that the candidates had set up. Shortly after it was determined that Obama would be the Democratic candidate, I ordered 3 hats thinking I could wear one and give 2 away. Within a week I got a box containing 1 hat. I e-mailed the store (whose profits went to the Obama campaign fund) about the lost hats. I was told there was so much demand they were on backorder. I did get the other two hats - today. I'd like to think that might be a metaphor for the Obama administration - Yes We Can (but it might be a little later than we all hoped for.)


No comments:

Post a Comment