Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wonderful Invention

Every once in a while a gadget will come along that is so simple and yet so profound that you wonder why everyone doesn't use one. I discovered just such a gadget this week.

As I've reported here earlier, my left leg is swollen from the calf to my toes. At first my doctor thought this was a plugged vein that could give way to a serioius stroke. When the x-rays didn't show any oclusion, he decided it was just weak veins in that leg that can no longer pump the blood back to the heart efficiently. He prescribed support hose.

Now I've used support hose before although for comfort not health. (My current swelling is painless.) But it would take me several minutes to put on the darn things. Also, my previous support hose were only slightly more expensive than regular socks. My prescription hose purchased at a local pharmacy were $65 a pair! I went online to see if I could do better. I could but they still cost $37 a pair. But, I found the "Donner".


A simple contraption of coated wire, the Donner has no moving parts, nothing to fall apart.



You begin by setting the Donner in front of you, the semi-circular tower pointing toward the back and orienting the heel of the stocking also toward the back.


Then you simply pull the stocking down and over the central, semi-circular tower and continue pulling until you've almost turned the stocking inside out.


When the inside of the heel appears at the top of the semi-circle, you're ready to put the stocking on your foot.


Insert your foot into the stocking while holding the stocking on the Donner's frame until your heel passes into the stocking at the semi-circle.


Release the stocking and pull back on the handles as you push your foot forward.



The stocking goes on as slick as can be. You might need to adjust slightly but all the hard work is done. No bending over for minutes at a time. No rolling up your stocking until your foot can't get through.

For more information about this clever device check for the application Donner at For Your Legs, it's been a real time saver for me. I didn't mean to make an advertisement but I have really felt it worth my $25. I'll even use it for regular stockings if they're tight.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, my Grandmother has to were perscription hoses too. Where can I get her the Donner. It looks really cool and a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a great help for putting on stockings. Wish we knew about this when Bernell had his spider bite a few years ago. Would be good to have for normal use. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll pass this on to my parents - thanks!

    ReplyDelete