Saturday, November 15, 2008

C-day plus 47

When people ask me, "how's Carolyn doing?" I usually say she's a bundle of energy when she's up but she usually has to have a nap or two during the day to keep that energy up. For example, yesterday she decided to buy groceries at two of our local drug stores and a 99 cent store. Mind you, our pantry is full enough that we can't get everything on the shelves. But these were good bargains and I think Carolyn got a kick out of buying groceries at a drugstsore.

Some of the items she bought are in preparation for Christms. For the past several years we've given beef jerky and jelly. We didn't have much of a pomegranate crop but she was able to make one batch of pomegranate jelly today, Also, she picked up a package of jalapeno peppers at the 99 Cent stire so she nade 2 batches of jalapeno jelly. That's a total of 20 8-ounce bottles of jelly. I think this is her first time making jalapeno jelly. Looks like it's time for me to get working on my jerky.

Seeing a package of jalapeno peppers at the 99 cent store started the whole thing.



But of course she also had to find and buy several packages of jelly-making kits (mainly pectin).

Tso dozen bottles with decorative caps appeared to be just the thing for giving away that much jelly.


Carolyn added color to the mix by using not only green peppers but yellow and red bell peppers in addition.

Mix, heat, mix some more and you have really tasty homemade jelly!

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear how great Carolyn is doing! That jelly looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has more energy than I do even with her chemo! What a champ! My homemade strawberry jam is my favorite in the world. I love the use of the different colors. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael says dibs on at least one of the pomegranate jell jars! (I have hopes our tree will start producing next year...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm--jalapeƱo jelly on cream cheese with Wheat Thins! Yum!

    Sorry about the small pomegranate crop. We HAD a big persimmon crop, but the birds & squirrels got to them all before they were even ripe. Does that mean we're in for a hard winter? On the other hand, because it hasn't really gotten cold yet, it was hard to realize the persimmons were ripe.

    ReplyDelete