Thursday, November 20, 2008

Man does not live by bread alone.

Several weeks ago, I was talking with Florence, one of the clients on my Meals on Wheels route. She remarked about how beautiful it was outside and how she wished she could walk outside. I asked why she couldn't and was told that she was afraid she might fall and not be able to get back up. "Don't you have friends or a caregiver who could walk with you?" She shook her head no. It occurred to me that with my shortened route there was no reason I couldn't be that friend.

I told Florence that I'd be back right after I finished delivering all my meals. She was so excited. After I finished my route, I would go back to Florence's house, help her put on her shoes, make sure she was modestly dressed for going out, then open the doors and gates so she could go for a walk. While she walked, she could usually go at least as fast as I could. Each week she worked up to a little farther until she was going in front of 5 houses. We've been doing that for several weeks now and she is always so grateful. But her body continues to suffer the ravages of time. A couple weeks ago she stopped making progress and, in fact, went a shorter distance each week.



Last week Florence couldn't even get off the porch. Instead we both sat on the porch and talked of everything and nothing. I convinced her to let me take the above picture of her on the porch. Today, she couldn't get out of her chair even to move to the porch. She looked even more frail than usual.

She grabbed my hand and told me to sit down by her so we could talk. She is so worried they'll put her in the nursing home. She thanked me for coming back and told me how much she depends on my coming back and talking with her. I didn't know that was in my job description. Then she asked if I could come next week and help her pay her bills. For about half an hour she just wanted to talk and kept telling me that I was the only one who really came back when I said I would. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't make it to the new year.

4 comments:

  1. She looks like such a sweet lady! How very kind of you to visit with her. Someday when I have more time and less time with my little ones I'd love to volunteer with the elderly. Ever since working at the pharmacy I've come to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that "each life touches ours for good". I think it is wonderful that you take the time to have her life touch yours. Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wonderful person to do what you do for others and the community. Such compassion will be rewarded! I note what looks like phlebitis on her leg. This may explain her lack of stamina to walk. Keep up the good work of being a friend.
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arnold, what a touching thing to read. There's thousands of Florence's everywhere but this one will always be special to you. A little kindness lasts a long time in both directions.

    ReplyDelete