Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Calming" Our Traffic


I saw a sign, no make that 2 signs, today that I've never seen before. In fact, I was so surprised that I turned around to see if I had really seen what I thought I had and to take a picture of them for this blog.

In three locations on our little street between Fair Oaks and Garfield there six signs, three in each direction, indicating that something is finally going to be done about the people who feel authorized to break the 25 mph speed limit because it isn't a high priority place for the police to patrol for speeders.

But I was struck with the manners and even the softer terminology of the "traffic calming" sign. Because both signs were used along the same stretch, I'm assuming that a speed bump is meant in both cases. Usually speed bumps aggravate me but the way they do them in this area reduces the aggravation considerably. They are 3 to 4 feet along the direction of traffic and low enough that if you are going 25, you probably don't need to slow down. But if you're going 45 or 50 mph, you can expect some serious bouncing. I'll be back with further information as soon as we see some progress.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds pretty reasonable. I hate the speed bumps that require you to move 5 mph just to get over. I guess that is OK in a parking lot, but it would be a real hassel on a street.

    ReplyDelete