Sunday, December 14, 2008

Working the warehouse

One of the main things that the Friends of the Library do to raise money for the library is sell books. Therefore, it is rather ironic that as Treasurer of the overall Friends organization for the Sacramento Public Library, I so rarely work at the Book Den or the Warehouse. I keep track of tall their expenses, all their sales income, and now even the books needing repair. But I have never participated in their Wednesday morning sorting of newly acquired books, never worked regular Book Den hours, and only seldom have I worked at a Warehouse Sale. So when I couldn't come up with an excuse for yesterday's warehouse sale, I ended up volunteering to cashier.

It's hard to figure out why we even had a sale because there were never more than 15 or 20 customers in the warehouse at any time and usually it was more like a half dozen. Several people chose this time to donate used books so it is possible that we actually took in more books than we sold.

The problem with such a situation is that during each lull in the sales, I would get up and explore a new aisle or section of books. I bought and brought home 6 videotapes, 12 audio tape books, 4 music books and a couple miscellaneous . Four large grocery bags full and all for less than $20. Now where am I going to put them?

No comments:

Post a Comment