Sunday, December 21, 2008

Facebook

I guess it had to happen sometime. Someone invited me to join Facebook. I should clarify that. I finally responded to someone's invitation to join Facebook. This is probably my third invitation in as many months so I decided that I would respond this time rather than ignore it. I'm not sure that was a good move.

Of course I already knew much about Facebook: that it was a network of people and connected these people in ways that facilitated their talking to one another, sharing information with each other, even playing online games with each other. And the relationships between members of Facebook could be almost as complex as real face-to-face relationships can be.

Things I didn't know was how much information a person is encouraged to add to his/her profile and how much is shared with members of your own network or is public. I didn't expect the system to somehow encourage adding new friends by searching e-mail databases. I went from 1 friend to 7 friends in a couple of hours. I didn't know how time consuming it could be just trying to keep up with what your friends are all doing.

According to an outdated article in Wikipedia, Facebook leads the pack of networked friends worldwide but My Space is almost double Facebook in the States. I will report back in a couple of weeks about this friends network.

No comments:

Post a Comment