Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No, I don’t think swimming is the next best thing to sex

In fact, it doesn't even come close.  I suppose I might feel a little differently if  there was some long lasting effect resulting from swimming such as feeling cool for the rest of the day.  And I do enjoy a dip in the pool every once in a while.  But, having maintained a pool for years, I know how many chemicals are necessary to keep a pool looking sparkling clean and I know how much “stuff” remains in a pool even when it looks sparkly clean.  I can do without swimming in someone else’s bathwater for the temporary relief from the heat.

To make it even worse most pools are either (1) in direct sunlight without shade or (2) inside in a poorly vented, non-air conditioned building that echoes and feels like  a giant sauna.  I wouldn't normally want to spend time in either environment and the benefits of swimming don't offset these environments.

I did enjoy swimming with the grandkids yesterday evening and especially that feeling of buoyancy which makes me feel 60 pounds lighter.  On the other hand, the 60 pounds felt like a ton of bricks when I started climbing  out of the pool.  Do I really need that sort of hassle?

No comments:

Post a Comment