Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Vacationing with a disability - day 5

This was definitely a day of fun and excitement but it was also a day which reflected seriously upon the relationship of taking a vacation with a disability.  In my case, the disability is Parkinson’s Disease and the manifestation of this disability is difficulty in walking unassisted.


We had chosen to take a cruise today up along the Na Pali (the cliffs) shoreline and back again.   Along the way we were to have “breakfast, lunch, and a mid-morning snack, as well as having various historical and cultural highlights of the shore pointed out to us as we passed them.  The company failed miserably on these features although I don’t know how much blame would rest with the captain.  We were also to have a 20 to 30 minute time in the water for swimming and/or snorkeling.  The minimum qualifications were met on this score although the experience was so much less than we had in Maui with virtually the same tour description.  Finally, and I’m not enough of a boater to  know whether man or nature was responsible for this, but we had the fastest, roughest ride I’ve ever had on a catmarran.  Several people on board were sick including me and my sister who NEVER gets seasick. 

On the other hand, the crew did a MARVELOUS job taking care of the passengers.  I was asked several times how I was doing and every time I made a move to get up and move around the boat, one of the crew would be at my elbow offering assistance.  Sometimes I felt I was up against a zone defense trying to get a shot off.  They had received early warning that a “disabled person” would be on board and they were determined that I would have a positive experience and, above all, not get hurt or injured.  And although I definitely got special treatment, all passengers got above average attention.


When we arrived at the ticket counter, I was told to report dockside so that I could be "pre-boarded"
So Carolyn drove me over and turned me over to a crew member who promptly did ... nothing.   I finally took a walk around the dock portion of the ship while waiting for the rest of the passengers. 


When I did finally board it was at the same time as the others.  Fortunately it was easy enough to negotiate the ships passageways and ladders.  After I walked aboard with my walker, the crew stowed it away behind the mast where it stayed until the end of the cruise.  I realized I could get around a small boat like I do my bathroom because there were so many grab bars available. 

At one point I looked up to see that Carolyn had taken over the helm.  I thought the captain was aware of what she was doing but until he and a crew member  pulled this pose...


I wasn't sure.


Here's our little tour team Keith, Arnold, Revabeth, and Carolyn during a rare quiet moment aboard the ship.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
During another quiet moment on board we watched spinner dolphins play alongside the ship.  

And, of course, there was our snorkeling time.  I didn't do as well as expected but much better than a couple of days.
The rest of the day we spent driving up Waielua canyon to see the gorgeous vistas from the various sightseeing pullouts.  The day ended with dinner at Wong’s, a local cafĂ© whose motto must be less is more.  The food was a limited table buffet table, not quite what we had been expecting.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Mr. Loveridge.

    This is Scott Doty, the guy who took your group photo. :)

    I read your post with interest, and was surprised that you'd found some elements of the trip unsatisfactory -- though I completely agree that the ride home would have been smoother with a smoother hand at the helm.

    In the USCG, I spent a year at a small boat station, where I'd taken the helm on a 41' utility boat, as well as a 44' Motor Lifeboat. (And years at sea on two 378' Cutters, but never at the helm.)

    I'm not sure if you knew, but Cathy started to feel queasy on the ride back, when things got rough...so much so, that she didn't want to move at all. She blames it on the fact that the captain got underway before we'd had a chance to eat lunch & get digestion started.

    Toward the end of our passage back to Port Allen, the captain finally took the helm, and tried to keep us from getting tossed around more than we already were...which requires finess with the throttles.

    We passengers didn't have the benefit of that when he'd had the 8-year-old at the helm. On a smoother day, that would have been fine, but after a few minutes, and with the bow slamming around, the captain should have been right back on the helm.

    To the captain's defense, the water got rough gradually, which may have contributed to what some call the "boiled frog syndrome" -- the idea is that gradually-worsening conditions can float beneath the captain's alarm threshhold, until something definitive happens, and the gentleman gets a better perspective on current conditions.

    In this case, a few good slams got him behind the helm, then a few more had him calling passengers off the bow.

    (Note that this is more of an observation -- and should be balanced with the situation of having the kid at the helm, who was having a formative experience that could end up being life-changing.)

    Anyway, I enjoyed the company of you and yours, and I hope you have a great time here in Kauai.

    BTW, there is a Facebook page for Kauai Sea Tours, where I posted a picture I took of K'Aloha up on the bow...I'll also post a few more to my facebook account, and some to twitpic, when we finish changing hotels today.

    Take care, and Aloooooooo-ha! :)

    ReplyDelete