Saturday, June 05, 2010

Vacationing with a disability - day 2

One of the things that both Carolyn and I like to do in an unfamiliar environment is to get the lay of the land, try to orient ourselves with our surroundings.  This, of course, is directly and immediately affected by my disability.

For example, in the course of walking around the grounds of the time-share we came to the beach used by most of the guests here.  As I was  using the scooter, I couldn't venture beyond the end of the pavement, the scooter would just sink in the sand and go nowhere.  

So I wasn't able to get closer to these people taking standing surfboard lessons.

Or these enjoying a picnic while the tide was low.


Still, I had little problem visiting the art show in the lobby.


On the other hand, as we visited a farmer's market on the campus of the junior college I decided to use my walker so I was not restricted from going anywhere - from the jam vendor...

... to the mixed greens vendor...

... to the purveyor of chocolate covered frozen bananas.  I do notice that there's more of a communication barrier when one face is two feet higher than the other face.

Driving around half of the island we met several roadside entrepreneurs selling everything from coconuts to sweet corn. 

We also managed to photograph some beautiful old buildings along the way.

And finally, we stopped at a scenic overlook along our drive to the north side of the island.  I had gotten in and out so many times, I decided to just stay in the car to see what sights I would see from the front seat.  No sooner had Carolyn moved off some 30 feet to take pictures when my view of the valley was obstructed by this thoughtless maiden.  I was oh so ready to honk the horn to let her know she needed to move on when she did it without any hint of mine.

2 comments:

  1. At least the thoughtless maiden was wearing pants and not just a bikini bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe the view isn't so bad?

    ReplyDelete