Saturday, January 03, 2009

Another puzzle clock

Quite often I used to get a puzzle for Christmas and the rest of the family and I would spend whatever time we wanted from then until the end of New Year's Day working on that puzzle. We didn't have a regular puzzle for Christmas this year but I did get "Make Your Own Working Paper Clock" which is turning out sort of like a puzzle. There are something l ike 150 pieces to cut out, score, fold, and glue. Once a piece has been glued into a 3 dimensional object then it is glued to other such objects.


Here I have three "beams" glued together and I'm working on the fourth. I believe this is the frame for the front of the clock.

The biggest problem I've had so far was following the instructions for using "latex glue". I stopped at an art store where they informed me they didn't carry such stuff and that the local hardware store should have it. There I was informed that "latex glue" meant "water based glue" and he suggested Elmer's White Glue. Well, I have more faith and experience with the PVA based glue I use for book binding so I didn't buy anything new. The PVA seems to be working great.

3 comments:

  1. So where does one get pva based glue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art stores usually have several types of PVA glue including the good old standard Elmer's White Glue and something called Tacky Glue (I don't know if that refers to the behavior of the glue or the artistic value of the product).

    It's used in book binding because it dries quickly with great strength for paper, cloth, and leather. Best of all there is minor danger from fumes and it's water based so it's easy to clean up hands and workspace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amusingly, pva also appears to be the major binding agent in my hair glue (yes, that's what ht manufacturer calls it) but I can't get PVA shipped to my home address to try compouonding my own (flammable in pure form, or something like that...)

    ReplyDelete