Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lord of the Rings

If you recognize any of the pictures appearing before this text, you probably have seen the Lord of the Rings series and have formed your own opinion about the movie(s). If you don't recognize the pictures and have not seen the movie let me give you one hint: prepare for an epic.

We finished watching it on DVD last night, finally finishing the sixth disc (yes, two per movie). For a while there we thought it would take us 3 years to finish it, like it took the filmmakers that long to actually release all 3 films comprising the story "Lord of the Rings". I's been so long since I read the book that I can't properly evaluate how well follow.

According to the story, a fellowship of [7]9 including 4 hobits heads out on a dangerous and possibly fatal mission to return a magical ring to the volcano mountain where it was forged. I was never quite clear how that worked but magic doesn't have to be logical. The hobbits provide much of the comic relief while the human, the dwarf, and the [fairy] elf provide the excitement of the battle, the love interests, and the occasional philosophical discussion.

There is so much hokiness in the film that it could easily be a satire. For example, after battle scenes in which dozens or thousands are killed, our heroes walk around as pretty much the sole survivors. If I were in the same battles and always saw these thee always triumph, I would start asking questions.

Some of the scenery shots are absolutely awesume but with all the computer generated images, you really can't be sure you're watching real landscape or something generated for he show.

I think it could be a wonderful film when cut down to 2 hours or less.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you could hope to condense the story to 2 hours. I've seen attempts but I haven't been impressed.

    For the record the Fellowship Originally had 9 members (to match the number of dark riders who had the nine rings for mortal men doomed to die). There were two humans (Boromir and Aragon) and a Wizard. And he's an elf not a fairy. (Though I've seen some good satires where they are all fairies, oh wait different meaning.)

    Perosnally I was disappointed by how prominant the battle seens became in the movie. In the book they are there, they are epic, and they are exciting, but they are only about 10-20% of the story. Some very interesting philosophical ideas get tossed in the editing.

    Then again a movie is a much more limited genre than a novel. I think a 6 month novela could match a book for depth and breadth, but no one north of the rio grand is making those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I like the idea of doing it as a telenovella. Maybe when the U.S. finally cottons on to the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah and in a telenovella you could actually spend a few episodes with Tom Bombadil (my personal favorite character).

    ReplyDelete