Friday, January 30, 2009

Have a Safe Valentine's Day

Armani Exchange at the Arden Fair Mall here in Sacramento made the headlines today with this modest display in their front window:

A big heart displayed two weeks before Valentine's Day shouldn't be too surprising, should it? And the accompanying message is appropriate in today's society:

Give Love, Get Love, Practice Safe Love, Armani Exchange Supports National Aids Efforts. But it wasn't that message that had people calling the mall management and then the newspaper (apparently to little avail). Let's look a little closer at that heart.

I thought so! They're little red lollipops with the sticks removed! Compared to some of the photos that adorned the store, this was really a mild display. No wonder they haven't taken it down.

Happy two weeks before Valentine's Day everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Some people have such dirty minds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you suppose displays like this work? I mean do more people choose to use a condom because of them? Staci thinks they don't and that the messages in movies need to be changed to promote safe sex. I agree that if sex is mentioned in a movie or a TV show it should include reference to safe sex practices (I think the sitcom friends did a pretty good job of that) but I also think displays like this make people more inclined to be prepared and use protection.

    On another note, how does a dating individual both plan for abstinence and plan to be ready if they slip? I mean the phrase "I'm not going to have sex on this date, but in case something gets hot and heavy and I lose control I've got a condom in my wallet just in case" seems a bit odd. Or maybe it isn't odd. The time it takes to unwrap and put on the condom may be just the time some people need to say wait, this is farther than I meant to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to think that displays like this have an indirect effect on people by making the condom something you can talk about with your love interest. When I was dating I didn't even feel comfortable talking with my date about needing to go to the bathroom.

    As far as the second question in tFools's comment, I'm reminded of a wallet I used on my mission that I inherited from my oldest brother. It had a message taped securely in it which said, "Spend, spend, spend you fool. It's no YOUR money."

    A commitment to NO sex with the alternative SAFE sex is better than a commitment to NO sex with NO alternative. That has been the problem with abstinence only sex education programs. When people give in, there's no safe alternative or even something to cause them to pause and think about their options.

    ReplyDelete