Friday, January 02, 2009

A Review of 2008

I was intrigued by an annual review that my niece Monique completed and displayed on her blog. I wondered how well I could fit into such a formal review. So I completed the review using the same questions. Generally, it went well but next year I'd probably make some minor modifications. Anyway, here's the review of 2008 as I saw it.

What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?> Began learning book binding and how to repair damaged books.

Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I rarely, if ever, make resolutions on New Years. I believe that resolutions should be made as they’re needed.

Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, our DIL gave us our 13th grandson by the name of Camdan.

Did anyone close to you die? Yes. A good friend in the church choir and my cousin who played a big part in our moving to Sacramento.

What countries did you visit? Didn’t visit any but at least we renewed our passports in case the opportunity arises.

What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A little more peace of mind about our kids careers and housing situation.

What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Probably the election day will be the single most important because the United States electorate was finally able to elect as president a man for his ability to make changes and raise hopes without lowering expectations and providing national security while defending our basic rights. I am proud of my country for looking past Obama's race in making this selection.

What was your biggest achievement of the year? Making a major step along the way of learning a new craft – bookbinding.

What was your biggest failure? Not only not losing weight but actually gaining another 8 pounds.

Did you suffer illness or injury?! My Parkinson’s Disease, diagnosed in 2007 continues to keep me from enjoying life to the fullest.

What was the best thing you bought? Did I buy anything?

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Proposition 8 proponents and opponents. Shameless behavior on both sides.

Where did most of your money go? Other than the 25% of our pension investments which vanished into thin air, our money went to pay living expenses, pay down our mortgage, and support the causes we believe in, including our kids.

What did you get really, really, really excited about? Anyone who knows me would really get suspicious if I answer anything other than “nothing”. Getting really, really, really excited is not my thing.

What song will always remind you of 2008? Huh?

Compared to this time last year, are you: much happier, richer, nicer? Certainly not richer but I’d like to think that I’m as happy and nice as I was last year, but probably not any moreso.

What do you wish you'd done more of? Lost more weight.

What do you wish you'd done less of? Gained weight.

How did you spend Christmas? Home with family around.

Did you fall in love in 2008? In the way I would define it, no.

What was your favorite TV program? The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Big Bang Theory in that order.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year. No, but there are people I hate a little more than I did last year as more of their cruelty, stupidity, or simply duplicity has been exposed.

What was the best book you read this year? "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. The word pictures are so precise you can smell the circus.

What did you want and get? To visit and be visited by my family and friends.

What were your favorite films of this year? Bagdad Café.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 64 singing, “Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m 64?” And Carolyn was answering, “Yes, what would you like for supper?”

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Perfect health.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008. Huh?

What kept you sane? Normal, every day life.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Barack Obama.

What political issue stirred you the most? Gay marriage. As Chuck Lorre put it so well, "I believe that inherent within the God-given right to the pursuit of happiness, is the equally God-given right to the pursuit of unhappiness. That is why I support gay marriage."

Who did you miss? With my memory, I can’t remember who I’ve missed or whether they died or just moved away.

Who was the best new person (people) you met? I dislike the wording of this question because I’m no judge of which person is better than another. Most interesting would be a better category and I would have to say Brenda Crisler (Accountant) followed closely by Pat Bruno (book binder).

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. A lesson I learn again and again is that growing old ain’t for sissies. It’s hard, painful work that gets you, if you’re lucky, back to where you started. Like the Red Queen in “Alice Through the Looking Glass”, you have to run hard to stay in place.

What are you most excited for in 2009? I’m looking forward to Carolyn not having major surgery and chemotherapy for the better part of the year.

What are you least excited for in 2009? Progressive disability which might limit my choices for volunteering, traveling, and visiting.




1 comment:

  1. This isn't normally something I would suggest, but have you considered gastric bypass? It would put you and Mom on the same diet, help drop weight, and I suspect the dropped weight would ameliorate some of the progressive disabillity. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete