Wednesday, January 14, 2009

United States of Paranoia

I wanted to include the picture above in my blog about being a volunteer tax aid. It seemed like a harmless enough thing and it showed a very modern, beautiful building. And I would also have included some pictures of the classroom, the hallway "coffee shop" and even the public service counter.

The reason I hesitated was this sign that I saw posted inside on one of the many bulletin boards:
Click on the picture and you'll be able to read the fine print which makes it clear that the "building perimeters, entrances, lobbies, foyers, corridors or auditoriums" are all off limits to photography of any kind without consent of an authorized official. Of course, I knew I had the card Bernell gave me naming me an authorized person.

Of course as someone famous said, "Even people with paranoia have enemies". Federal building have been targeted for hate crimes. And I would probably worry if someone were to come around my home or office and take pictures without my knowing why they're taking pictures . But have we gone a little too far? Are we so worried that a person can't take one little picture? Is one of my loyal readers going to turn me in?



Update:
Just for the fun of it, since there was a regulation cited, I googled that regulation. Here's what it REALLY says:
102-74.420 What is the policy concerning photographs for news, advertising or commercial purposes?

Except where security regulations, rules, orders, or directives apply or a Federal court order or rule prohibits it, persons entering in or on Federal property may take photographs of—

(a) Space occupied by a tenant agency for non-commercial purposes only with the permission of the occupying agency concerned;

(b) Space occupied by a tenant agency for commercial purposes only with written permission of an authorized official of the occupying agency concerned; and

(c) Building entrances, lobbies, foyers, corridors, or auditoriums for news purposes.

Now my blog is definitely for "news purposes" so I think I fall safely under paragraph (c) which seems to require no permission. What a relief!

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps the survivors and family members from Timothy McVey's photo taking of the Oklahoma Federal Building would disagree with you. I certainly would feel very uncomfortable with anyone taking random photos in a federal building. The rules make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's your dose of paranoia. If someone is casing something, they can do it from 100+ yards away with a telephoto lens and google maps will give the lay of the land. For matters of privacy or personal information, protect away, but the hate crime angle doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly my point, PLove. Too often we react in haste with a force or restriction that is completely out of proportion to the incident. The unintended consequences ruin the desired effect.

    Another example is the restrictions on felons convicted of sex crimes. They are so restricted in their living locations that they are forced into small ghettos where their chance of rehabilitation approaches zero. They become an even greater danger to society.

    ReplyDelete