Friday, October 05, 2007

Dental computer

I had my teeth cleaned this morning. George, my dental hygienist, picked up my chart from the reception area and directed me back to the chair he was using today. He asked me to sit and when I was comfortable, he clipped a napkin around my neck then lowered the back of the chair. He directed the light onto my mouth and picked up his tools to begin inspecting my teeth. He then did something I had never seen or heard of before except in science fiction movies. He said, "Computer, listen". I was astounded. I was impressed.

For the next 2 to 3 minutes as he checked the gum pockets around each of my teeth, he called out numbers such as 2, 2 to 3, 2 to 4, 4, 2, etc. Every once in a while he would call out a tooth number such as "tooth #9". I kept expecting a reply by the computer like "Yes, master George" but it never came. Finally, George said, "Computer, exam save. Computer, sleep."

At previous visits, George has measured my gum pockets and called out the numbers but it has always been an assistant who has written them down, a human assistant. Then someone, either George or the assistant, had to input the numbers into the medical record. This time, thanks to voice recognition software integrated with the medical record system, the entries went in directly. George said he really liked it.

As we finished up and George suggested that we get together in 4 months, he made the appointment right there rather than having the receptionist involved. It felt a little more personal and didn't take much of his time. He also gets a feel for how business is going as he looks over the upcoming appointments.

I've been very impressed with this dental practice and highly recommend Arden Oaks to anyone in the northeast Sacramento area.

No comments:

Post a Comment