Sunday, October 21, 2007

La Campana de Taco


If they wanted to translate it directly, Taco Bell would have used something like La Campana de Taco but my guess is the sign over the most recent fast food restaurant in Mexico is Taco Bell. We heard this announced on The Daily Show but as with most news announcements on that show, it was true but short on facts. I had to do a Google search to learn more about what really happened.

According to the Seattle Times one of the biggest problems that Taco Bell had was renaming some of the food that it has been mis-naming all these years. The Mexican taco more resembles a Taco Bell soft taco and they (the Mexicans) don't really have something like the hard shelled tacos at Taco Bell. Therefore, Taco Bell now produces a "tacostada", a play on the words taco and tostada, the latter being a toasted tortilla that is served flat and piled with the usual taco fillings. Of course Taco Bell did that to the Americans many years ago when it invented the word "enchirito" a combination enchilada and burrito. I wonder what that has become south of the border.

Since I am a big fan of Taco Bell, I wish them well in this endeavor. I'm glad that the next time I'm in Monterrey, Mexico (which will also be my first time) I can find some comfort food in that good old American Taco Bell.

3 comments:

  1. Noticed your Loveridge Family Website is quite a bit out of date... See not only do some people read you blog, they look at your links (of course Arnold's Joke for the Day and Funny Videos seem to be out of date as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's a CampanaDeTaco.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://CampanaDeTaco.Com is real? Wow, I wander if they serve tacos too?

      Delete