Thursday, October 23, 2008

iGoogle "stuff"

I'll admit that I'm hooked. I've been using the Google screen for my home page for several years for the simple reason that Googling something is the main way I start to use an unfamiliar service. Once I'm familiar with a site I put it on the bookmark toolbar.

A couple of months ago, when I saw Google's advertisement for iGoogle, I decided to bite. At first it was only one or two "gadgets", then it was a change of artistic heading, then a couple more "gadgets" or small applications that serve a utilitarian purpose or tempt you with new ways to learn things on your computer.

For example, I was well aware of Wikihow, the "How To" library of the Internet. But I'd really never used it. But when iGoogle puts in front of me every day a selection like the following how I not try out at least one:
More than 30 Ways to Reuse a Toothbrush
9 Ways to Get By While Living in Your Car
How to Riffle Shuffle a Deck Like a Pro

I have a weather gadget, a top news story gadget, a translation gadget (very handy when I was taking German last year), and several others. It's like designing your own newspaper front page. And if you don't like a gadget, it is really easy to zap it - bye-bye.

So if you think you're not spending enough time in front of your computer - consider iGoogle.

No comments:

Post a Comment