Thursday, October 02, 2008

My Blog Readers

For all you faithful readers of my blog, I thought I'd give you a picture of what's been happening this past year as far as readership.

This chart plots the number of visits per month as well as the number of page views. It's a little misleading because the number of page views is the total bar height, not just the orange piece on top. So for October 2007 there were 574 visits from my blog readers and they viewed a total of 763 pages (or 1.3 pages per visit).

You can see slow growth for the first six months and then a definite plateau. But everyone's concern for Carolyn pushed the readership to all time highs in August and September. Here are the actual numbers:
Interestingly, when you look at the visits on a daily basis, there is a distinct drop off for Friday and Saturday, then it picks up again on Sunday with Tuesday/Wednesday being the usual highpoints of the week.
This chart shows the visits only for each day of September and the last day of August. You'll notice this past Tuesday, September 30, 2008, was a record high 83 visits for my blog in one day. My guess is that it was featured as a random review blog by the Blogger administration for 20 minutes or so.

And finally, we have the estimated location of visitors to my blogsite:

Worldwide, it looks like I have fans deep in the Amazon, scattered throughout Europe, and in Indonesia (I think). Actually, I wouldn't put too much stock in where the dots are because the counting service uses a visitor's Internet Service Provider's (ISP) directory information to estimate the visitor's location. Your ISP may be in Kansas and you're in Tennesee. This chart will show you in Kansas.

Looking at just the United States, it appears that my visitors are spread over almost all the states with a slight concentration on the two coasts.

I'm a little surprised at the concentration on the East Coast but again this might be just where the ISPs hang out.

Thanks for checking in with my blog from time to time. Leave a comment if you feel so inclined and please come back again.

2 comments:

  1. that's cool. How do you track all that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, there is an excellent service called Sitemeter which you can check out at sitemeter.com. Their service is free for small accounts like mine but even their premium service only costs $6.95 per month.

    I recommend it highly.

    ReplyDelete