Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Phone Court

No, I don't know who this person is. The reason I took the picture was the sign above the doorway and the fact that just moments before I took the picture, there were several people milling around here, each of them on a cell phone. It occurred to me that someone ought to start pushing the idea of a Phone Court - a place where people can use their cell phone without disturbing other people.

The idea was reinforced a couple of days later when Carolyn was in the hospital for her chemotherapy treatment. I needed to make a call and I didn't want to ask to use a hospital phone. I had my cell phone but there are signs up all around the hospital prohibiting use of cell phones because of interference with sensitive equipment. And, of course, all the public pay phones have been removed long ago.

I think we would all be in favor of every public building or open space having a dedicated spot with sound and electronic baffles so that cell phones would work well without interfering with other electronic equipment and the people who feel they have to shout into their cell phones wouldn't bother the rest of you.

2 comments:

  1. Like your idea! Don't quite know why people seem to think they have to talk on the cell phones ALL the time now matter where they are. What did we do years ago when cell phones weren't in everyone's pocket or purse? I think we paid better attention while driving and were more considerate of others while out in public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea to me!

    ReplyDelete